Chocolate Chip Cookies
125g butter, softened
½ cup brown sugar
⅓ cup caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1½ cups self raising flour
¾ cup choc chips
- Preheat oven to 160.
- Cream together butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Whisk in egg and vanilla.
- Stir in flour then fold through Chocolate Chips
- Place teaspoonfuls on baking trays lined with baking paper.
- Bake in oven for 10-15 minutes or until golden. Cool on a wire rack.
Vegan Ginger Cookies for Jacob*
2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar (brown or white!) + more for rolling in
1 1/2 tablespoons ginger powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup water + more as needed
1/4 cup molasses
1/3 cup melted Nuttelex or canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- Preheat oven to 180.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Mix the wet ingredients together in a bowl.
- Pour the wet bowl into the dry and mix like crazy. You might need to add a tablespoon of water at a time until you get a dough. It will look weird.
- Roll the dough into small bowls and dip the balls into sugar to coat them. Place on lined baking trays and flatten a tiny bit.
- Cook for 8 – 10 minutes.
- Remove carefully and cool on a wire rack. Eat!!
*Not necessarily only for Jacob. Any non vegans may also enjoy
500g pork or beef mince
2 slices of bread
Ginger & garlic
1 tin tomatoes
2 bay leaves
½ cinnamon stick
- Combine all ingredients on left and roll into balls
- Fry in oil until browned
- Add tomato sauce, tomatoes, peas, bay leaves and cinnamon
- Stew for 10 minutes on a low heat and stir often.
Donna Hay’s Lemony Peach Cake
¾ cup caster sugar
2 tbs lemon zest
1 cup SR flour
1 tsp baking powder
- Cream butter, sugar and zest
- Add eggs, one at a time and beat well
- Add flour and baking powder and mix gently to combine
- Pour into lined tin and top with tinned peach slices
- Bake at 160C for 1 hour
Vegan Sugar-Free Pancakes
1 cup plain flour
1 cup SR flour
¾ cup rice malt syrup
1 ½ cups soy milk
Pinch of cornflour
- Combine all ingredients in a large jug until smooth
- Fry in coconut oil
Mrs Pettigrew’s Lemon Cake
100g soft butter
175g caster sugar
Zest of 2 lemons
175g SR flour
½ cup milk
Juice of 3 lemons
3 tablespoons caster sugar
- Combine butter and sugar well
- Add eggs, zest, flour and milk and mix well
- Bake at 180C for 40 minutes
- While cake is baking, combine sugar and lemon juice until sugar is dissolved and pour over warm cake.