The people of St Michael’s North Carlton acknowledge the Wurundjeri people of the Kulin Nation as the traditional custodians of the land on which we have been meeting since 1885. We acknowledge this land was not ceded by the Indigenous people and was colonised by force. We pay our respects to all Indigenous communities; their kinship, culture and elders past, present and emerging. We commit to partnership with Indigenous people in an ongoing journey of reconciliation.
The foundation stone for St Michael’s Anglican Church North Carlton was laid on February 18th, 1885, marking the beginning a long and continuous history of Christian ministry in North Carlton. It was a time when church attendance was seen as part of normal life and the Sunday school at St Michael’s grew to become one of the largest in Melbourne with over five hundred children on the books, more than forty teachers, and regular attendance each week over three hundred. A large hall was constructed to manage these impressive numbers and it is believed that Saturday classes were also held.
St Michael’s has generally offered a low church Anglican approach to ministry and had been blessed by many wonderful minsters in charge over the years with different personalities and strengths in ministry. St Michael’s has always had a strong connection to the community and social life and has been abundantly enriched with sporting clubs and other activities, long recorded in plaques, pennants, and photographs. Regular annual fairs and reunions have been well attended over many decades. The church has always had a vision for ministry beyond its own community and has supported mission work in many areas with financial support and training of missionaries, having had a close association with St. Andrews Hall, the headquarters of CMS in Melbourne.
In more recent times St Michael’s has continued this tradition and welcomes a diverse range of people to minister, especially encouraging women and lay members to be involved in preaching and teaching within the church. Small groups regularly meet and provide a significant point of connection, support, and fellowship for church members beyond the regular Sunday services. The church has undergone some significant and impressive architectural improvements over the past twenty years such as the construction of its glass foyer, and now presents a modern, active church which endeavours to reach out to the community. St Michael’s Anglican Church believes in the faithful preaching of the Word and in working to encourage people to feel they are a part of a dynamic and relevant modern Christian community.
St Michael’s Anglican Church North Carlton has adopted four vision statements which define its ministry today.
Proclaiming the Gospel, Building Community, Sharing Hope, Serving others.
For anyone wanting to find out more about this story of St Michael’s, a history of the first 125 years, The St Michael’s Story was completed in time for that anniversary in 2010 and makes easy and interesting reading. It is available from the church office.